Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad Light for Weight Watchers

Yesterday I went to a girls-only poolside party at a friend's home.  I was asked to bring a salad since she knew I was being diligent about my food choices.  I immediately thought of a favorite warm weather salad that I love - Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad!  As soon as I thought of this side dish, I almost decided it was not a good choice because of the dressing and Ramen noodles. (Did you know that a bowl of packaged ramen noodles is 10 points?)

However, it sounded so good I moved forward. I have been determined to learn ways to eat the foods I love within the Weight Watcher's guidelines, so I found several recipes online and developed a "lighter" version of this tasty salad.  The changes I made involved less oil, sugar substitute and leaving out the seasonings from the package (which some recipes call for and adds 2 pts).  The best part is that it didn't taste any different to me and was a hit with my non-dieting BFFs.  Here's it is:

Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad Light

Makes 6 large servings (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
WW points+: 5

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 head medium cabbage, shredded (or cole slaw mix)
  • 1-2 tender celery stalks (pieces) sliced thinly
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
  • 4 green onions, sliced thinly
  • 2 oz. sliced almonds
  • 2-3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 uncooked package chicken Ramen noodle mix (without the seasonings), crumbled
Dressing:
  • 2 T sesame oil
  • 1/8 cup rice vinegar
  • 5 teas. baking sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
  • 1 teas. low sodium soy sodium
 Directions:
  •  Mix cabbage, onions, carrots together in large bowl. 
  • Make Dressing -  In separate small bowl mix oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar substitute. Stir and refrigerate.
  • 1/2 hour before serving, add almonds, sesame seeds and crumbled dry Ramen noodles (without the seasoning packet) to salad and mix thoroughly.  Pour dressing mixture over salad and stir again. 
  • Refrigerate 1/2 to 1 hour and serve
Note: The Ramen noodles will soften after a few hours, so leftovers won't have the crunch like the salad did when fresh, however, that doesn't stop anyone from finishing them off!  :)



10 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see vinegar in the recipe, but it's in the directions. What kind and how much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much vinegar, and what kind?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No vinegar in recipe - rice wine vinegar? Plus I'm assuming T stands for tbsp? I would think equal parts vinegar & oil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...I did forget to add the vinegar..I usually use Rice Vinegar, but any kind will do...and YES...T stands for Tablespoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there any noodles to substitue for these or are these sold in a only noodle pack?

    ReplyDelete
  7. good relevant information about that how salad is good for health. what are the benefits of salad for more information click here.. Salad Good For Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this recipe last week and Its was good but the sesame oil was a little too strong for me. I think I would either cut it in half and substitute or sub the whole amount with another kind of oil. Otherwise it was delicious and very filling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved it!! I had to leave out the green onions, celery, almonds and rice vinegar (didn't have any on hand) and substituted white vinegar for the rice vinegar and chopped walnuts for the almonds and this was still full of flavor and crunch. Quick and easy to throw together and pairs great with lots of dishes. Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family absolutely loves this salad. I have been making it for the last year and even my non-salad eaters will eat it. I always have these ingredients on hand and it go goes together in minutes! Inspired with heart and waistline health...thanks for this staple for my table!

    ReplyDelete