However, it sounded so good I moved forward. I have been determined to learn ways to eat the foods I love within the Weight Watcher's guidelines, so I found several recipes online and developed a "lighter" version of this tasty salad. The changes I made involved less oil, sugar substitute and leaving out the seasonings from the package (which some recipes call for and adds 2 pts). The best part is that it didn't taste any different to me and was a hit with my non-dieting BFFs. Here's it is:
Ramen Noodle Cabbage Salad Light
Makes 6 large servings (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cups)
WW points+: 5
- 1/2 head medium cabbage, shredded (or cole slaw mix)
- 1-2 tender celery stalks (pieces) sliced thinly
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 oz. sliced almonds
- 2-3 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 uncooked package chicken Ramen noodle mix (without the seasonings), crumbled
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1/8 cup rice vinegar
- 5 teas. baking sugar substitute (such as Splenda)
- 1 teas. low sodium soy sodium
- Mix cabbage, onions, carrots together in large bowl.
- Make Dressing - In separate small bowl mix oil, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar substitute. Stir and refrigerate.
- 1/2 hour before serving, add almonds, sesame seeds and crumbled dry Ramen noodles (without the seasoning packet) to salad and mix thoroughly. Pour dressing mixture over salad and stir again.
- Refrigerate 1/2 to 1 hour and serve