Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Portion Control

I think one of the most important things you learn on the Weight Watcher's diet is portion control.  Every meal and snack now, I measure before I eat.  I scoop my rice with a measuring cup.  I count out 53 pretzels sticks for a snack.  I've known this is important for a while, but for some reason, I find it easier to put this rule into play on the Weight Watchers plan.

Here's an article I wrote a while back that makes for good reading when you need a reminder, not just about eating healthy, but also about eating a sensible portion. Fellow Weight Watchers, just say NO to supersizing!

"Portion Control - How Much Food is Enough"
Image courtesy of ebru/wikimedia commons
Americans have gotten out-of-control with their eating habits, and lack of portion control is a key contributor to gaining weight.No doubt, food choice contributes to obesity in this country, but just as bad is the mindset that “more is better” when eating out or serving a family dinner.

Does Eating "Supersized" Equal Obesity?
The movie, “Supersize Me” released in 2004, highlighted the insanity and toxicity of fast food eating and the portions involved. In the movie, Morgan Spurlock personally tests the effect of eating fast food for thirty days and gains 24 pounds!

Wholehealtheducation.com’s article, “Stress Causing Americans to Supersize” by Georgianna Donadio, Ph.D, points to this movie as a pop culture example of the issues of everyday gorging on food. She tells us that a study by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, outlined how food portions grew in fast food chains, restaurants and even homes from 1977 to 1996, citing stress as the key motivator. (Continue reading "Portion Control - How Much Food is Enough?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Patio Container Garden - a fun way to get some exercise!

Disclosure: As an Amazon associate I may earn from qualifying purchases mentioned in this article.  My stacking compost system I started my ...