Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Seven Layer Salad


I recently decided to make one of my favorite overnight salads, a recipe that I originally got from my sister-in-law: the Seven Layer Salad.  As I made it I added up the points and was happy to learn that it was Weight Watchers friendly! One serving is very generous and filling! Here it is:

Makes 4 generous servings

Weight Watchers Points:
Total Salad - 20 Points
Per Serving - 5 Points

Ingredients:
1 head Iceberg Lettuce
1/2 cup purple onion
I head cauliflower
Peas, canned or frozen, approximately 1 cup (add 3 pts for each additional cup)
1 jar Bacon Bits or equivalent crispy fried bacon
8 Tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise
1/2 to 1cup grated Parmesan cheese, enough to cover

Directions:

In a large cylindrical container with airtight lid, layer ingredients in the following order:

Bite sized pieces of Lettuce
Thinly sliced or diced purple onion
Bite sized pieces of cauliflower
Peas (if using frozen no need to cook)
Bacon bits or crumbled bacon


Spread mayonnaise over salad like you are frosting it.  Be sure to cover salad entirely right to the edges. (Leaving holes or not frosting to the edge will allow flavors to escape and lettuce to wilt.)

Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of mayo.

Cover tightly and refrigerate several hours or overnight.  Overnight is best.











Scoop out a serving, mix it up and enjoy!!


Note: Points may vary based on the mayonnaise you use and if you add more bacon, etc.  Also I didn't put this in the WW recipe builder, but instead just added points for the items that weren't vegetables. I rounded up for my total point count. Double check for your own purposes.

3 comments:

My Patio Container Garden - a fun way to get some exercise!

Disclosure: As an Amazon associate I may earn from qualifying purchases mentioned in this article.  My stacking compost system I started my ...